What Are The Benefits Of PEMF (Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy)?
There has been a surge in recent years of new treatments that utilize modern technology to reduce pain and improve healing. Otherwise known as the field of biomagnetics, these treatments include transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation, and pulsed electromagnetic field therapy (PEMF). PEMF therapy isn’t necessarily a treatment option for a specific ailment because it can help to promote healing in every single one of the body’s cells, but it can successfully be used for localized problems as well.
What is PEMF therapy?
PEMF therapy is an FDA-approved treatment for several health problems, including non-union factors and depression, and it can also be used to promote all-body wellness. Each cell in your body produces an electromagnetic field. When the cell is healthy, this field has a voltage of -20 to -25 millivolts. If this voltage drops below -15 millivolts, then you can start to get sick.
PEMF therapy works by inducing an electromagnetic field that increases the voltage of your body’s cells in order to help them to heal. There are a variety of PEMF devices available, including all-over body mats (similar in size and shape to yoga mats), localized pad applicators, or pinpointed probe applicators. In all of them, there will be several flat spiral coils that produce a magnetic field. There will also be a frequency generator that energies the coils to produce a pulsed electromagnetic field.
What does PEMF therapy do?
PEMF therapy has a really wide-ranging effect on the body because it does affect each one of your cells (less so if you are using a localized applicator). These can include:
* Improved blood circulation
* A reduction in inflammation
* The stimulation of muscle tissue, including inducing relaxation
* Improved oxygenation of tissue
* Enhanced cellular repair, including an activation of the regeneration process and the regeneration of nerve tissue
* Improved immune system
* Cartilage repair
* Better sleep
* Stimulation of HGH and melatonin – potential anti-aging effects
Regular use of PEMF therapy can, therefore, help to improve general health and wellbeing, and can help your body to heal at a faster rate. You might also get sick less, feel more relaxed, and get a better night’s sleep.
What does the research say about PEMF therapy?
Since PEMF therapy is quite a new treatment, and because it works on a cellular level, there is still a lot of research being done on its potential applications. But here are a few examples of some of the recent trials that have taken place:
1) PEMF therapy can help to increase the healing rate of fracture nonunion (fractures that haven’t healed back together properly) by 73% to 85% (https://josr-online.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1749-799X-7-24).
2) PEMF therapy can reduce pain in patients with fibromyalgia (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2670735/), rheumatoid arthritis (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16770449/), and osteoarthritis (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26705327/).
3) PEMF therapy is showing promise for helping with treatment-resistant depression (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27449361/).
4) PEMF therapy can reduce prostate size in benign prostatic hyperplasia (likely due to reducing inflammation) (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32090492/).
This is just a selection of the recent research into the applications of PEMF therapy, but it is clear that it can be an effective treatment for a variety of diseases and conditions, as well as its role in promoting overall health and wellbeing.
PEMF therapy is a new form of biomagnetic therapy that works by increasing the voltage of the body’s cells, inducing healing, reducing inflammation, and improving blood flow. PEMF therapy can be used on the entire body as a way of improving total health or wellbeing, but it can also be used to treat specific conditions, including pain conditions, fractures, depression, and problems with the prostate.